When people let me use their kitchens, I really feel honored. I try my best to respect their things and their space, and I always clean up after myself. But yesterday I failed pretty badly while attempting to make some french fries to go along with what turned out to be quite delicious stuffed burgers.
He is very good at cleaning up after himself even if he is a little slow at it. LOL. After the stuffed burger incident though I think all of our friends will think twice before letting him use their kitchens again.
But anyway – these burgers are totally awesome! We got the recipe from a friend of ours after we had them at her house.
You take the ground beef and form patties around the stuffing.
- 2 1/4 pounds ground sirloin
- 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cups chopped parsley plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1/4 cups crumbled blue cheese plus 2 Tablespoon
- 1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Form patties around the stuffing.
Adapted from From a friend
Adapted from From a friend
She & Him, Cooking http://cooking.parscal.com/
Not everyone has a patty press – so to improvise take 2 stackable tupperware bowls of the same shape and size and put the hamburger inside one and use the other to press the meat.
I seared them and finished them in the oven much like you would with a steak, as the thickness of the patties tends to inhibit complete cooking without drying out.
But scarily similar
Yeah so a lot of this was Trevor screaming “aaaaahhhhh fire, fire” and running around the kitchen saying “what do I do what do I do.” I smelled the smoke and heard him screaming and ran into the room at the same time as our friend who was about to dump water on the oil fire when I screamed “Nooo! Just smother it! Get a lid or something.” I’ve set a few oil/ grease fires in my lifetime so I’ve learned from experience how to put them out. Remember how I wasn’t allowed to cook when I lived with my parents? Yeah thats why. I burned everything – but we also had an electric stove, so I will just blame it on that.
So, note to self, when working with oil, especially on stove-tops I’m unaccustomed to, always use a thermometer, and be conservative on the heat. I’m a bit gun-shy now, but that’s probably a good thing. I luckily managed not to burn down my friend’s house, so it certainly could have ended much worse, but he did end up with some first degree burns from the hellatious ball of fire that resulted in him allowing oxygen to once again be consumed by the molten oil.
You know, I’m not sure if it really was him allowing the fire to have oxygen or if it was the moisture in the air/ coldness of the air that restarted it. But either way he did have a pink hand and was minus a few arm hairs.
The burgers were very delicious, which softened the blow, but the lingering smell of melted Teflon kept my face red with embarrassment for the rest of the evening. Thankfully they are very forgiving people, and might allow me to come over again – but I doubt they’ll be offering their kitchen to me anytime soon..
Don’t worry babe I told them next time we come over we’ll bring a fire extinguisher with us…