Normally when I go to the grocery store to buy something specific, I end up collecting lots of additional items on my way through the store which were not on my original list. Today, on a quick run for some diapers, I noticed that the items I was collecting were different than usual; heavy cream, whole milk, food coloring, and dry mustard. I found myself inventorying our kitchen as I walked though the isles, and spent a good couple minutes looking at various cleaning and polishing products for copper and stainless steel. The other day my wife and I were in the car, both sitting there quietly pondering as we often do. Melissa asked me, “What are you thinking about?” I replied “Cooking”. She sort of laughed at her expectations being met. But what can I say? I just get very focused on hobbies.
Anyways, now that I’d restocked my kitchen a bit, I couldn’t help but start looking through my wife’s preserve stash for something interesting to make ice cream with. Ah ha! Apple butter. I quickly threw this together and popped it in the fridge for later churning.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter (ideally home made)
- 1oz lemon juice (fresh squeezed and strained of pulp)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- food coloring as desired (i used about 45 drops of neon green)
- 1 tbsp minced granny smith apple
- 2 tbsp 1/4″ x 1/4″ super-thin slices of granny smith apple with skin on the end
- 1 tbsp freshly pressed granny smith apple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine and heat mixture to 170 degrees, bring to room temp, refrigerate, churn, add mix-ins, freeze, eat.
Yeah so after half a day in the freezer secondary taste testing revealed little to no fresh apple taste in my opinion. To me it was more of an apple pie or roasted apple flavor. In a secondary note don’t use green food coloring for something that tastes like apple pie it sends conflicting signals to the brain. It’s like picking up your glass of orange juice and realizing it was actually milk.
Indeed, the flavor and color didn’t turn out to match up all that well, but it’s very fun looking!